Monday, May 21, 2007

Branson: The Lowe Family and The Landing


My wife and I took our moms to the Lowe Family show at the Welk Resort Theatre in Branson last Thursday in celebration of Mother's Day and also my wife's mom's birthday. The Lowes are a family of multi-instrumental, song-and-dance virtuosos who originally hail from Utah. I have been working with Doug, the only male sibling, for about two years on the pipes and have seen the show with my wife once before. However, this was the first time that I have seen him perform live on his pipes.

The show was awesome and so much fun! Doug and his sisters display a dizzying array of talents for singing, dancing, and performance on a wide variety of instruments including violin, piano, banjo, guitar, whistle and of course BAGPIPES! When Doug stepped out of the fog-machine generated atmosphere during the second act of the show playing the pipes, it really was a powerful moment--very magical! I was so proud of his performance of "Highland Cathedral." He had worked an arrangement out with one of his sisters to play a timpini during the piece, which added to the drama of the foggy scene.

After the show, we went to the Branson Landing to check out the Cantina Laredo, which has been highly recommended by everyone who has eaten there. Our lunch did not disappoint: the food was delicious, and even though we dined inside, we still were in a prime spot to appreciate the fire-and-water show taking place outside. At one point during my scarfing down of chips and salsa, I caught a fiery glimmer out of the corner of my eye and felt the warmth of an infrared spray. The water and fire fountain display took a few moments to fully grasp on a conscious level, so elemental and dramatic was its effect.

No comments: